The Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics at Indiana University Health offers a nine-month, part time fellowship aimed at training health care professionals in clinical ethics, including didactic and interactive seminars, ethics consultation experience, and a scholarly project. Graduates become capable members of the ethics community, serve as a resource for colleagues facing ethical challenges in patient care, and have the potential to grow into leaders in the field of medical ethics.
The Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics will grant certificates of completion to fellows successfully completing the nine-month fellowship. Fellows will be evaluated on participation in seminars and meetings, performance in supervised ethics consultations, and completion of a scholarly project.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for important dates for the 2023-2024 Ethics Fellowship!
The target audience for the fellowship includes physicians, advance practice providers, nurses, chaplains, and social workers. Other members of the greater community (e.g. attorneys or members of administrative staffs) may also apply. It is recommended that applicants have a background in a clinical setting. Application to the fellowship is a competitive process.
- Bachelor's Degree
- CV or Resume
- Brief Narrative Essays
- Letter of support from immediate supervisor with permission of time protection
- Letter of recommendation attesting to character and work ethic
If accepted into the Fellowship:
- A tuition of $3,000 will be paid to the Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics by one month prior to the start date of the fellowship
- A tuition of $500 for if concurrently enrolled in an advanced degree program (Masters or higher)
- Tuition forgiveness will be granted to IU Health Employees
- Must be available on Wednesday's during the academic year (late August-late May)
- Additional time requirements outside of Wednesday include time on ethics consults, reading assignments for didactics, and the scholarly project
Application Timeline for 2023-2024 Fellowship Class
Application Open Date: February 3rd
Application Close Date: March 24th
Interview Dates: May 8th (Primary) & May 15th (Secondary)
Interviews are held in-person at Methodist Hospital
2023 Lunch & Learn Dates
Monday, February 13th - Methodist Hospital
Thursday, February 16th - Riley Hospital
11:30-12:00 | 12:15-12:45
Click here to register for the lunch & learn!
All dates are subject to change.
For questions or to receive updates about Ethics Fellowship information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.